Saturday, January 4, 2014

Top 10 Rules for Being a Stepmom

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. Sorry, kids. I hate to burst your bubble but there is no cookie-cutter one-size-fits all rulebook for stepparenting. I love my role as a full-fledged stepmom but that in no way means that any time a single friend comes to me who says “I’m dating a man with kids. What’s your advice?” that my answer is not always “Ruuunnnnnnnnnnn!!!!”. Whether I am fully committed or should be fully committed is up for debate when it comes to my life. Let me give you the Cliff's Notes version: I met and fell in love with my husband after years of friendship, I never knew Carls’ mom, I thought I would be a really cool stepmom- more like a big sister type, so madly in love, I jumped in head first. And then the crazy train pulled out of the station. From an absentee mother who lived to cause drama to court fees to nasty in-laws to the diagnosis of a horrible disease- My life has been nothing less than a Lifetime movie. I did not eagerly chomp at the bit for my current role in Carl’s life- I was thoroughly shoved unmercilessly into it by our circumstances. And now I have learned who and where I am, and who and where I want to go. It took me YEARS to be comfortable with this though and it was not an easy journey. But it is a wonderful journey nonetheless. Full of beautiful moments and wild adventures. So what are my rules for stepparenting? Just one- There are no rules. I can give advice though but it will be up to you to take what works for you and create your own. My advice would be to take one step at a time, learn from your mistakes, don’t be afraid to try, don’t beat yourself up if you don’t fit a mold others feel you should model yourself after, do what is right for your family, always see the bigger picture, forgive often, love with abandon, trust your gut, and always build your family up rather than tearing it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment